Thursday, December 25, 2008



My family has a few family traditions during the holidays that I just love. Matt and I have embraced most of these traditions ourselves when we celebrate the holidays at our home. Some of my favorites include:

  • On Christmas eve, we leave the tree lights on all night long. It is the only night we leave the lights on throughout the night.
  • We always attend Christmas eve service and then come home and have dinner/snacks before bed. When we were little, we were always given one present on Christmas eve to open. (see Katie in the picture at church holding her candle and red tassel and Marcus in his car seat- he fell asleep on the way home)
  • For breakfast Christmas morning, we have Apple Puff Pancakes (Matt and Katie's favorite!) fruit salad, and sausage links.
This year, only the kids received presents and I loved it. It was so refreshing to not have to buy gifts for everyone. With Matt gone, the holidays have felt so different. While I do enjoy giving and receiving, it was nice to have time just to reflect on the true meanings of the holiday. Despite not having daddy around, we were able to enjoy ourselves. I pray next year he'll be home to celebrate the holidays with us.

No comments: